There are no stated matching requirements for this program; however, if the project cost estimate exceeds the maximum award amount, the applicant must include documents in the application indicating that other funds, including Capital Funds, are available to cover the additional costs. Funds must be from a source that is currently available to the applicant as of the date of application submission.
A total of $10 million is expected to be available to support awards through this program. Applicants may submit multiple applications; however, no applicant may receive more than $250,000 per fiscal year.
If the funds requested by eligible applicants exceed the funds available, the funding agency will select award recipients through a lottery process designed to achieve a broad national distribution of funds, based on the funding agency's regions. At a minimum, at least one application in each region will be funded, assuming that there are eligible applications from each region and that sufficient funds are available. For the purposes of conducting the lottery, separate applications from the same applicant will be treated as a single application.
Funds must be obligated within one year and expended within two years.
Funds may not be used for:
- Previously incurred expenses or costs already expended to cure any National Standards for the Physical Inspection of Real Estate (NSPIRE) deficiencies
- Purchasing, leasing, or renewing or extending contracts for security equipment produced by the Huawei Technologies Company or the ZTE Corporation, or any subsidiary or affiliate of these entities
- Video surveillance and telecommunications equipment produced by Hytera Communications Corporation, Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Company, or Dahua Technology Company or any subsidiary or affiliate of such entities
- Salaries for public housing agency (PHA) security staff
- Automated surveillance and facial recognition technology
- Security patrol contracts or payment to local law enforcement for additional security or purchase of equipment for local police
- Budget line item administrative expenses
- Transferring emergency safety and security funding to the operations budget line item
- Ongoing monitoring fees for security equipment/systems and ongoing service or maintenance contracts for emergency safety and security-related equipment or systems
- Projects that have a contract for housing assistance payments (CHAP) for the project
In September 2023, a total of $10 million was distributed via 56 award ranging from $10,167 to $250,000 through this program. In October 2022, a total of $10,391,312 was distributed via 61 awards ranging from $4,500 to $250,000. In September 2021, a total of $10 million was distributed via 55 awards ranging from $9,250 to $250,000. Refer to the Award file for details.